Databoards (Lower Primary) – Ice-creams or lollipops
||Databoards (Lower Primary) – Ice-creams or lollipops
||This teacher resource describes an activity in which students practise reading grid coordinates, constructing bar graphs and considering notions of fair and unfair. Students construct a bar graph while playing a game using a 'biased' board, before designing an alternative gameboard and justifying their decision making with the class. The resource includes instructions to the teacher, suggestions for observing, questioning, reflecting on and varying the activity, a list of maths outcomes, a gameboard and score sheet, and a blank game board.
(click to enlarge)
||Subscribe to download lesson plans
|Measurement and Geometry:
||Location and transformation
|Statistics and Probability:
||Data representation and interpretation
||1; 2; 3
|Key learning objectives:
- Students generate data using a two-way table.
- Students construct, summarise and interpret a bar graph.
- Students use knowledge of ratios and fractions.
- Students describe notions of 'fair or unfair' and justify their decision making.
- Students read grid coordinates.
- Provides an activity structure in which students read two-way tables, create and interpret bar charts, and consider notions of fairness.
- Provides a fun and hands-on approach that caters for different learning styles.
- Includes suggestions for teacher observation and questioning, prompts for whole class discussion, and student activity boards and worksheets.
||Bar charts; bar graphs; chance; Data analysis; Data representation; Fractions; grid coordinates; grid references; maths games; notions of fair and unfair; Number (Mathematics); Number games; Ratios; sorting and classifying data; Statistics and probability; summarising and interpreting data; Tables (Data); two-way tables; using mathematical language
||Bar charts; Data analysis; Data representation; Fractions; Grid references; Number (Mathematics); Number games; Ratios; Statistics and probability; Tables (Data)